God’s Provision

God will provide for our needs; this is something most people know, but some become a little confused by it.

The statement does not mean that all we need to do sit on our chairs and wait for Him to give us what we need or desire, but it does mean that He is more than just mindful of our situations.   Consider the following passage from Matthew 7:Roses 015-LR

“Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?  Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?  If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!  So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.”

Matthew 7:9-12

Did you notice something odd about the passage?

Yes, this is from the Sermon on the Mount, and this particular passage comes within a fuller context of 7:7-12 and is about God answering prayer and providing for us.  The odd part is that Jesus added the “Golden Rule” (v. 12) at the end of this, and that is set up as a summing up. Isn’t that interesting?

There’s a connection between the two, God’s provision and answering of prayer and the manner in which we treat other people.  It seems to me that this connection is twofold:

First, secure in the knowledge that God will answer prayer and provide, we need not, in fact must not envy others who appear to us to be in better shape than we are in the area of our need.

Second, God’s children always put others first. Jesus always served God by serving others in a way that advanced God’s purpose and so must we.  The Golden Rule simply puts this into words.

What God will not do for us is to answer our selfish prayers to put us at advantage over others, for this is not the motivation of His humble servant. Thus, we learn that serving God in humility is our proper response to a gracious God, and that His provision will ensure that putting others first will not leave us alone and destitute.

What an awesome and amazing God we have and serve!

About Don Merritt

A long time teacher and writer, Don hopes to share his varied life's experiences in a different way with a Christian perspective.
This entry was posted in Christian Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to God’s Provision

1. Patricia Ann says:

Great post, Don, as usual! I love it!

2. Good morning Don. Awesome verities! I love the new look of your blog!

3. Tom says:

Don, Great point on God meeting our needs as we put others first. We need to remember that our purpose on this earth is to build God’s kingdom–that is putting others ahead of ourselves. Thank you for the post.

4. sarvsohal says:

Amen Brother: I would like to add to this

Since God is concerned for each of us as His redeemed children, the Apostle Paul assures us this concern certainly extends to our basic daily needs (but not our greed). The Apostle wrote, “And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:19). This promise was made in connection with the financial support the Philippians had sent to Paul for his missionary ministry. He was assuring them that their giving would never be their lack. God would supply their needs, and the reason for His supply, was nothing less than “His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Governing God’s provision is nothing short of the wealth of what God has done for us in Christ. Again, Romans 8:32 comes to mind.

• Don Merritt says:

Quite right, and well stated, thanks!

• trotter387 says:

Although I understand the point you are making please don’t forget that many have prayed to be spared death or poverty, ill health and chronic disease and it did not happen.

The reward they either await or have received demonstrates that our needs are not the only factor. The Apostle Paul had to put up with a health problem as did Timothy, Stephen was stoned to death, Christians have been martyred, persecuted and starved for their belief – the true answer to our needs remains Gods Kingdom and nothing can separate us from that – not even death, John 5:28, 29.

5. Chris Brann says:

Amen, so true, I have seen it in my new life.

6. Chris Brann says:

Reblogged this on A Christian Warrior and commented:
    Love this it is so true.
    I have seen this in my own walk with Christ.
    ‘we learn that serving God in humility is our proper response to a gracious God, and that His provision will ensure that putting others first will not leave us alone and destitute.’

7. Denine Taylor says:

I can testify that my husband and I have always made much less money then others around us, yet our income verse our net worth is truly a blessing from God. If we want something, God eventually gives it to us. We always try to do unto others. We give out of our lack, yet we are never in want. Just recently, a lady from church was getting a new hot tub. Her old one had some electrical problems. They offered the used hot tub to the pastor, but he wasn’t sure he wanted it. We were told if he didn’t take it they would give it to us. The pastor did decided to keep the old hot tub. I remember saying at the time “Oh well, if God wants me to have I hot tub He will give me a hot tub.” 6 months later now, this lady has just moved and her new hot tub would not fit through the door of her new sunroom. My husband is a self employed construction contractor. He was doing some work in her new home. Long story short, I just got a 6 month old $5000 like new hot tub. This is something we would never ourselves have the extra money to purchase. We are truly enjoying it and praising God! A side note. It is so freeing to know that God is our provider and to be dependent on Him alone not man!!! I wish I had realized that earlier in my life.

8. vwoods1212 says:

I get a feel to pray more consistently when others are placed in the queue before my requests. I guess that is the motivation which triggers praying. Thanks for sharing. BTW Love the patriot support in your cover photo. vw

9. Thank you for visiting my blog and liking my post.

10. trotter387 says:

Interesting post and I enjoyed the read.

It is funny how conversations are often reflected in what read. Discussing Matthew 6 and 7 with a fellow Christian a few days ago we recognised the caveats in how and why our prayers are answered:

1 Our prayer must be in harmony with Gods will and purpose
    2 It must be based on faith
    3 It must be directed or routed through his designated channel
    4 We must work in harmony with our prayer
    5 When moved to act on anothers behalf recognise this could be the answer to prayer
    6 Never stop giving (God has always provided for all humanity)
    7 Others may be the answer to our prayer – so put pride aside
    8 The reward isn’t thanks or personal accolades but the praise that goes to God
    9 Reflect on the blessings both to be used and receive and give thanks
    10 Make prayer personal our expression of our desire to live in harmony with God.

We went on for considerably longer about the content of prayer and how we reflect our desire to serve God through personal contrition and forgiveness which took us back to the Model Prayer where we are taught:

Praise the name of god – make it holy
    Pledge allegiance to his kingdom
    Request his will to be done
    and then everything else falls into place.

Thanks

11. Pingback: God’s Provision | A disciple's study

12. photojaq says:

Interesting. I never noticed that connection, but it sure makes sense!