Trees and Simple Faith

CB2014 029-LR

Many have said that the simple things in life are the best.  Simple things don’t  cost much, usually aren’t flashy and are seldom mentioned in the newspapers…  Things like devotion to duty, love of family, faith in God and serving others are the kinds of things that make life worth living…

Our Lord taught us that to love Him is to obey His commands (John 14:23) and at first glance this might seem difficult.  The truth is that it isn’t very difficult at all; it only requires simple and uncomplicated faith.  If we have simple faith to believe His teachings, than obeying Him is an easy burden to bear.

Faith is not complicated, it has no ulterior motive and it isn’t self promoting; it just boils down to a loving response to His loving act of saving us from death.  Simple faith is uncomplicated because we are relieved of the need to find a way to work it to our advantage or to use it to put others down; instead simple faith lifts everyone up.

Simple faith is like a tree that grows in the wild.  It doesn’t try to impress anybody, it doesn’t worry about the latest fashions or how to climb over other people on its way up the corporate ladder.  All the tree does is live, grow and do what God intended for it.

Come to think of it, we can learn quite a bit from a tree!

About Don Merritt

A long time teacher and writer, Don hopes to share his varied life's experiences in a different way with a Christian perspective.
This entry was posted in Christian Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Trees and Simple Faith

1. Your site is very nice thank you!

2. Little Monk says:

I so could not agree more. In fact, your post made me smile as I recalled a valuable lesson from long ago. You quoted…

“Our Lord taught us that to love Him is to obey His commands (John 14:23) and at first glance this might seem difficult.”

Once upon a time, long ago, I became a bit “confused” about this… and started struggling with “checklist phariseeism” and buying into the endless “behavioral standards” (do this, don’t do that, go here, don’t go there, hand with these folks, not those folks)… of my local church. My boss/pastor sensed my confusion, along with my desire truly to do “right”, but beginning to lose my actual “Christ Compass” to its magnetic interference by exposure to lots of traditional, customary, Christians behaving according to whatever they’d had people teach them, rather than what Jesus teaches.

Anyway, I “got assigned” some Bible Study homework, that turned into one of the coolest assignments I ever did, and I’ve used since with students as well.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here is/was the assignment:

“Given that Jesus told us we are to do all that He commanded… what WAS that, really?”

Task: Quickly and prayerfully move through the Gospels, from Matthew 1 to John 18, and identify Jesus’ COMMANDS or orders to the Disciples or to others. Now, that does not mean His teachings, His guidelines, His parables, His suggestions, or His inshights. But His COMMANDS only, what we would call “imperative case” in English, and List them.

Bonus: Which, of Jesus’ actual COMMANDS, did He repeat more often than any other?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was an assignment that helped my life anchor in some profound ways. Others may enjoy it as well.

Grace to thee! — LM

3. Meredith says:

The K.I.S.S theory! Thanks for the reminder to cease undue striving and let his love grow our faith.

4. Pingback: 10 Thankful Things | Making Life an Art

5. vwoods1212 says:

Beautiful post; simple and to the point. thanks for sharing such a light fare for a wonderful spring day. vw

6. Elaine says:

Thank you for showing it is so much simpler than it often seems. We humans do have a habit of making things more complicated than they often are!

7. Elaine says:

Reblogged this on Elaine's Random Thoughts and commented:
    Great post on keeping our faith simple! Check out some of the other things Don writes as well! Love his blogs!

8. Equipping The Saints says:

Thank you for your post.; it is very good. Please keep up the good work. Blessings to you.

Senior Pastor/Equipping the Saints
    Philip 3:10, “That I May Know Him”

9. paulfg says:

Don. Beautiful! Thank you.

10. Pam says:

I wrote an article about two years ago on trees. I saw trees as worshiping and praising God. Their branches are always uplifted. Even in the rain and wind, they still have uplifted branches. I am from Connecticut where it snows a lot. The trees are beautiful with the snow stacked on them. Even when we have ice storms, their branches are still lifted up. Sometimes they break because of the heaviness of the ice. Yet they continue to praise God. Are we like trees? Are our arms still lifted up to God when the road is rough and the storms of life are raging. Do we give up and lower our “branches”? Your words made me check myself concerning my devotion to God. We all need reminders of how we should stand before the Lord on our daily walk.

11. Thanks for the reminder of how simple this is really. I also love what Little Monk said and am going to make a note for myself to do that assignment too.